Teeth whitening is a frequent cosmetic request for dentists in Durban. It is a fast and cheap way to get a better looking smile. Teeth whitening in Durban can be done at Family Dental Care. Although we cater for the entire family’s dental needs, we do advise that teeth whitening not be done on baby teeth or permanent teeth which are less than a year old. We are open for teeth whitening in Durban on weekdays and if you cannot make it to come in during this time then please feel free to schedule an appointment for a Saturday on which we are available from 8:00 to 13:00.
- Drinking cola, wine, tea or coffee
- Aging can darken the teeth
- Not following a daily home cleaning regime
Teeth whitening in Durban with Family Dental Care will reverse damage caused by years of partaking in these activities.
Benefits of Teeth Whitening
- Whiter teeth is associated with healthier teeth and therefore better hygiene.
- A whiter smile gives people a higher level of self-confidence. Whiter teeth allows for a person to smile more and be less self-conscious to interact with other people.
- It is one of the easiest and most affordable ways to make a physical change in yourself to look better, and has no harmful side effects.
- A brighter smile gives off a friendlier and approachable demeanour.
- Since teeth discolours over time due to the aging process, whitening them will lead to a more youthful appearance
Why do people want to get Teeth Whitening in Durban?
Generally speaking, the cost of living in Durban is cheaper than most parts of the country. It is for this reason that many people decide to make their way to Durban (and the warm beaches of course) for a holiday. While in Durban they do take advantage and indulge in some services that are cheaper here than elsewhere. Teeth whitening in Durban is one such example especially when visiting a franchise dentist like Family Dental Care, known for affordable prices and top quality service.
The Teeth Whitening Process
There are a number of ways to whiten teeth but the method chosen by our dentists is the Zoom in office system. It uses a combo of gel and light to whiten teeth. The gel contains a percentage of hydrogen peroxide which breaks down on the tooth once activated by the ultraviolet light. Once this happens oxygen reaches the dentin and bleaches the discolouration in the tooth. Only the colouring of the tooth is affected with the overall structure of the tooth being unaffected. The following is a detailed explanation of what to expect when you get teeth whitening in Durban done with us.
- Firstly, our dentist will assess your mouth and decide if you would be a good candidate for the treatment. The treatment will also not be performed on patients who are pregnant or lactating, as well as young children. It should be noted crowns and veneers do not respond to teeth whitening. The rest of the teeth which do not contain these items can however still be bleached to match the colour of the veneer or crown.
- Secondly a picture will be taken of your mouth. This is not only done for a before and after picture, but for our dentist to monitor the progress of the process not just for the initial visit but for future visits as well.
- Thirdly, our dentist will prepare the mouth for the treatment. The teeth will be cleaned of any bacteria or food particles that are currently on the tooth. If there are cavities then this will have to be removed and filled out with a dental filling before you can go ahead with teeth whitening. A plastic retractor will be used to keep the mouth open for the duration of the treatment. This allows for no movement from the cheeks to interfere with the gel placed on the teeth. Part of the preparation process includes placing a protective gel on the lips, gums, inner cheeks and tongue to protect them from the bleaching gel which will be going onto the teeth.
- Fourthly, the Zoom bleaching gel is applied to the teeth. This alone, is just half the treatment. The other half stems from the unique ultraviolet light which is placed over the teeth to accelerate whitening. The light is not done in one go but rather in three 15 minute sessions. The gel and light work together to break up stains on the teeth as well as discolouration. During the procedure, all you would have to do is sit back and relax.
- Fifth, all of the bleaching gel, protective gel and retractor is removed from your mouth.
- Sixth, a picture is taken. The results of the teeth whitening is instantaneous. The picture is used to give an idea of the difference in your teeth before and after the procedure.
The entire treatment lasts around an hour. Since no anaesthetic is used during the treatment for teeth whitening in Durban with family Dental Care, you can leave our rooms with no down time. Some patients may experience a mild sensitivity brought about by the treatment but this should subside within the next day or 2. Also to take note of is that for the next week you should stay away from foods with a high staining content such as coffee and wine. Teeth whitening is not a once off procedure. It needs to be maintained at home with regular brushing and flossing to reduce the occurrence of stain forming. Toothpastes that contain a level of whitening agents should be used to further maintain the results of the Zoom in office treatment. The procedure needs to be repeated from time to time to maintain the brightness that is achieved during the treatment.