Dental emergencies are no laughing matter, while cosmetic procedures will cure your self-consciousness
Our new branch in Durban North is set up to attend to any dental urgency you may have. Next time you need an emergency dentist in Durban North, you’ll know we’re just a phone call away. When you make your appointment, clearly identify if it is an emergency or not.
What is a dental emergency?
Not every instance of pain in your mouth requires immediate treatment, even though naturally, you’d want the pain alleviated. If your tooth is chipped but is not causing you actual pain, for example, it is not a dental emergency.
Many true dental emergencies are associated with sporting injury, accidents or some or other kind of trauma.
Basically, you have a dental emergency when you have a problem in your mouth relating to your jaw, gum tissue, teeth or tongue that that:
• means you will lose your tooth if you don’t see your emergency dentist in Durban North immediately
• is causing bleeding, such as tissue bleeding, that won’t stop
• is causing you severe or crippling pain, usually resulting in you not being able to swallow, chew or speak properly
• is life-threatening, such as a severe abscess or infection.
These questions will help guide both you and us, should you phone our new Durban North branch for an emergency dentist in Durban North:
• Have you had an accident affecting your mouth and jaw? Have you been struck in the face and mouth?
• Is your mouth bleeding?
• Do you have any swollen patches on your gums?
• Are you able to chew (with your other teeth) and swallow?
• Is your mouth and face swollen in any way?
• Do you have any loose teeth?
• Is the pain associated with what you are experiencing very bad or excessive?
Answering ‘yes’ to any of these questions may mean you have an emergency, but not if the pain is related to a sensitivity, such as eating hot and cold foods. In that case, avoid those foods until you come in for your appointment with us.
Medical tip in an emergency
Do not take ibuprofen or aspirin when bleeding. As they thin your blood, they could cause you to lose even more blood at a rapid rate.
Specific kinds of dental emergency
Our emergency dentist in Durban North has seen all kinds of mouth issues requiring immediate treatment, but some of the most common ones are:
• Tissue injury – tears or cuts to lips, cheeks, mouth, gums and inside membranes of your mouth. Rinse your mouth with a solution of warm water and salt, and gently place pressure on the affected area. If you truly can’t get hold of us, firstly, or any other emergency dentist in Durban North, go to the trauma section or emergency room at a 24-hour doctor or hospital.
• Cracked or broken teeth – this would require immediate attention, unlike a chipped tooth which, while serious, can be seen to a few hours later. A crack to your tooth suggests that there has been damage to the inside of the tooth as well. Usually, we’d have to do an X-Ray or scan to ascertain the extent of the damage to decide how best to save it. If possible, keep any part of the tooth that has broken off in a clean tissue or inside a clean container, preferably one that has been sterilised.
• Knocked-out teeth – your tooth can be saved if you get to the dentist while the ligaments and nerve endings are still alive. Gently pick up the dislodged tooth. Carefully pick up the tooth by the crown and wipe off excess dirt. Not try and place it back in the socket, or between your teeth and gums. Surrounding the tooth with your saliva can keep it alive. Try to get to us within 30 minutes; sooner if possible.
Cosmetic dentistry at our Durban North Dentist
Certain kinds of trauma to your mouth that involve emergency treatment, may also necessitate cosmetic procedures subsequently. Here are some reasons why you may want to come in to our Durban north branch if you need a cosmetic dentist in Durban North.
Cosmetic dentistry refers to procedures that improve the appearance of your smile, teeth and mouth, and facial features on the whole. They are usually elective, rather than necessary procedures.
There has been a big uptake in cosmetic procedures at our practice due to our highly skilled cosmetic dentist in Durban North, who is apace with the constant breakthroughs in the technology being used, making the procedures fast and effective. The other big bonus is that these procedures also often restore mouth functioning, such as swallowing and chewing and self-confidence. Breathing and speaking patterns also often revert to how they should best be. This is always one of the underlying aims when you come in for a consultation to our cosmetic dentist in Durban North.
This is one of the major reasons why patients come to us for a cosmetic dentist in Durban North at our Durban North branch.
As our cosmetic dentist in Durban North will tell you, your teeth could be stained due to smoking, excessive intake of corrosive materials such as sugar or coffee, or due to a number of reasons. Teeth whitening gives you that unforgettable ‘celeb smile’ many people dream about. It is important first to have a routine clean before embarking on teeth whitening to get the most out of it – that way you are guaranteed to get the most out of the procedure.
You could use a whitening toothpaste, or come in for tooth bleaching and, specifically, state-of-the-art zoom tooth whitening. Using laser-and-light treatment and the latest technology, we’ll have your teeth several shades lighter in one hour. Most patients only require three one-hour sessions at most before they can flash their envy-inducing smiles! Read all about the specifics of our zoom teeth whitening procedures here.
Other cosmetic procedures
Of course, our cosmetic dentist in Durban North will attend to all our cosmetic dentistry needs, along with the rest of the team. Veneers, implants, inlays and onlays as well as composite bonding – we are highly trained and well-equipped to handle your cosmetic procedures and, critically, will assess how best to do so with minimal pain and discomfort to you.
Far from cosmetic dentistry being an indulgence in vanity, we know what a fundamental difference a sparkling smile can make! Come to us with confidence knowing we’ll not only treat you in confidence, but understand the critical importance of doing the procedure for you. Our greatest pleasure is seeing a newly confident patient leave our offices!