Where to get Veneers in Durban?
All of the Family Dental Care branches are equipped to provide veneers. An appointment would have to be made with whichever branch you would choose to get your veneers done. All of our dentists have years of experience in fitting veneers. During the initial consultation, your mouth will be given a detailed inspection and our dentist will advise on the best route forward. If your teeth are in good enough condition and only need some minor adjustments to create a better overall look, then our dentist will suggest veneers.
Veneers do improve the look of the teeth and in doing so, do wonders for a person’s self-confidence. This does make them a worthwhile investment. Durban should be a high choice if you are considering getting veneers. The city has a lower cost of living than Johannesburg and Cape Town, yet with the same high level calibre of dentists. You would reap the best of both worlds if you do get your veneers fitted at Family Dental Care.BOOK FOR YOUR VENEERS
What are Veneers?
Veneers are a cosmetic dental procedure. They are thin pieces of porcelain or resin which are fitted onto the front of teeth to give a more aesthetically pleasing look. It is not as invasive or expensive as many other dental cosmetic options, so many patients opt to go this route if they need adjustments done to their teeth. The following problems are fixed when you opt for veneers:
- Gaps between the teeth – veneers will fill out this gap instantly, negating the need to go through years of orthodontic straightening treatment.
- Chipped tooth
- Broken tooth
- Teeth shaped irregularly – the veneer can be designed to shape up the tooth in a much more pleasing manner.
- Discoloured teeth – teeth that have lost their whiteness and shine due to age or have a bit of cavity markings can be covered up with veneers in Durban at Family Dental Care.
Veneers may not be reversible but the benefits in getting them are numerous.
- Veneers do not stain. That is, if the porcelain type is used. Our dentists only use porcelain material for the procedure.
- As an end result, porcelain looks exactly like tooth material which is why, when used in a veneer, they give off a natural looking finish.
- Porcelain is natural. The soft tissue like the gums do not have an adverse reaction to them, making them a good long term addition to the mouth.
- Porcelain can be mixed into any colour desirable and patients can request a whiter shade if they want to. Porcelain does not stain or rot over time and therefore, once the porcelain has been bonded into place, it will retain that particular colour. The patient will not have to go through whitening treatments.
Fitting the Veneer
Getting veneers at Family Dental Care is a 3 visit process:
Step 1 – this is done during the initial consultation. Our dentist will examine your mouth and if veneers are the way forward, then a course of action is planned. An x-ray may be done to ensure that the teeth requiring the veneers are healthy. We are fully equipped to not delay the process and have you fitted as soon as possible. During the same consultation, the tooth or teeth in question, will be shaved off slightly. This is a very minute amount, usually about half a millimetre off the surface. The veneer will take the place of this removed portion of the tooth. This part of the process will require a numbing agent as it will cause some deep sensitivity within the tooth. Once the numbing agent has been administered and given a few minutes to take effect, the procedure can be done and the patient will not feel any discomfort. An impression will be taken of the tooth, which will be sent to a dental ceramist. Our dentist will let you know when the veneer is ready and you would then come back to have it fitted into your mouth.
Step 2 – during the next visit the veneer or veneers will be placed onto the tooth. Again, the tooth will have to be prepared. This time however, no numbing is required. A deep clean is given to the teeth receiving the veneer along with a polish and a bit of etching. A rougher surface better holds the veneer in place. A bonding agent is placed onto the veneer and it is then placed onto the tooth. A dental light is held over the teeth once all veneers are in place which will harden the bonding agent and help secure the veneer snugly in place. Once done, our dentist will remove any excess bonding materials and ensure that the veneer is properly fitted.
Step 3 – a follow up visit a couple of weeks later is necessary for our dentist to see if the veneers are indeed a success. Even if it is felt that the veneers have adapted neatly to the mouth, this visit should not be skipped.
Future maintenance of the veneers is pretty easy. Simply go about the normal dentally accepted practices to good oral health. This means a good solid daily brushing and flossing routine. During the recommended twice yearly dental visits which everybody should adhere to regardless of whether or not you have veneers, our dentist will polish the veneer. If you have a habit of biting or grinding your teeth, this will have to be stopped as it will interfere with the veneer. A night time bite guard can be used if this is a problem. When getting your veneers in Durban done with Family Dental Care, speak to our dentists about this so they can issue a bite guard.